The parties voluntarily dismissed the lawsuit, according to a stipulation filed Thursday in federal court in Manhattan. No details were given.
According to an article in The Portland Press Herald:
"Paramount said in its complaint that after Puzo died in 1999, the company agreed to allow Bertelsmann's Random House to publish one "Godfather" sequel, "The Godfather Returns," which came out in 2004. The estate published another novel, "The Godfather's Revenge," in 2006, without Paramount's approval, the studio said. Paramount sued after the estate announced a plan to publish a third sequel, "The Family Corleone."
The sequel, written by Ed Falco, was published in May by Grand Central Publishing, a unit of Paris-based Hachette Livre. The terms of an interim settlement reached earlier this year stated that proceeds from the book would be put in escrow pending the outcome of the litigation, court papers said.
Paramount claimed the Puzo estate infringed its copyright with the publication of the novel and infringed its trademark with the design of the book. Puzo's heirs said that the contract between the late author and the studio gave him certain rights, including book publishing."